Nora's Tried and True Recipes!!

Healthy Recipes that will suit almost anybody's palette! Enjoy!!!

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Baked Ziti!


I wasn't sure if I was going to bother posting this one as I thought it was quite similar to lasagna. Then I thought about it and after having for lunch today I realized indeed I SHOULD share it!

The next time I made it...I would add spinach and red pepper...just because it is FREE and will add to the texture and flavour!

Baked Ziti!
Recipe is for 2 13x9 pans
Yield:6 servings, 1-1/3c per serv.
NI: 324 calories, 11g fat, 3g fiber per serving.

1 pound lean ground beef
2 medium onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 jar (28 0z) diced tomatoes, undrained (I used 10 oz Rotel and 18 0z regular diced tomatoes)
1 can (12 oz) tomato paste
3/4c water
2 tbsp minced fresh parsley( I used cilantro)
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp dried basil
1-1/2 tsp dried oregano, divided
1 pound uncooked medium tube pasta
1 carton (15 oz) reduced fat ricotta cheese (I pureed cottage as I did not have ricotta at the time)
2c (8 oz) shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
1/2c grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1/2c egg substitute
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

In a large saucepan, cook beef, onions and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, basil and 1 tsp oregano. Cover and simmer for 3 hours (I only did it for 2 and was grateful, it would have been to dry I think), stirring occasionally. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. In a bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella, 1/4c Parmesan cheese, egg substitute, salt and pepper.

In two greased 13-in.x9-in baking dishes coated with nonstick cooking spray, spread 1c of meat sauce. In each dish, layer a fourth of the pasta, 1c meat sauce and a fourth of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers of pasta, sauce and cheese mixture. Top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese and oregano. Cover and bake at 350% for 1 hour or until heated. AHHHHH just realized why mine was a little dry, I forgot to tell David to cover it when he put it in the oven for me!!!! COVER IT OK!

*I think kids would enjoy this!

Enjoy!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home