Nora's Tried and True Recipes!!

Healthy Recipes that will suit almost anybody's palette! Enjoy!!!

Friday, November 30, 2007

Unrolled CABBAGE ROLLS!


Gosh the Podleski sisters know how to keep things simple yet delightful! I always turned my nose up at cabbage rolls but decided to give this recipe a shot! It was easy, used minimal ingredients and was extremely tasty!!! Thank you Janet and Greta!!

Unrolled Cabbage Rolls

Reprinted with permission from Janet Podleski (Looneyspoons)

Yield:8 generous servings
NI: 258 cal, 3.3g fat, (my input...a minimum of 4g fiber)not noted in original recipe.

3/4c chopped onions
1 clove garlic, minced
1-1/2c low-sodium, reduced-fat chicken broth( I replace 1/2c of the broth with water to help reduce the sodium even further)
3/4c uncooked long grain white rice
1 medium head cabbage (about 3-4 pounds)
1-1/2 pounds lean ground turkey(skinless)
1 egg white
1/4c chopped fresh parsley(I used cilantro...delish)
1 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 tsp each salt and black pepper
2 cans (10 oz each) low fat condensed tomato soup (Campbell's healthy request).

Spray a medium saucepan with non stick spray. Add onions and garlic. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring often. Add broth and rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes, until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed. Stir occasionally.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cut cabbage into 8 wedges. Boil cabbage wedges for 5 minutes. Drain, remove tough inner pieces. Separate individual leaves and set aside.

Combine cooked rice with turkey, egg white, parsley, marjoram, salt and pepper. Mix well (using your hands works best).

Spray a 13x9 inch baking pan with non stick spray. Line bottom with 1/2 the cabbage leaves. Spread rice/turkey mixture evenly over cabbage. Top with remaining cabbage leaves.

Empty both cans of soup into a medium bowl. Add 1 can water and mix well. Pour soup evenly over cabbage. Cover and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Reduce heat to 325 degrees and cook another 45 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tabi said...

I flipped through my Looneyspoons cookbook and I chose to make this recipe for dinner tonight..I used the leftover cabbage in a homemade veggie soup to have with tommorow nights dinner. What a fabulous meal- rave reviews from the kidlets. I love my looneyspoons cookbooks. I love knowing that I am feeding my family well.

January 7, 2013 at 6:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have tried numerous recipes in the "Looney Spoons" cookbook. Never been disappointed.

January 30, 2016 at 4:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've used this recipe as a guide for my not so healthy, gluten free version with either crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce.
My daughter's friend who doesn't eat cabbage, ate five mountain sized servings, it's that good.

February 25, 2021 at 11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home